SO – the work I decided to do on my Jimmy Delaney series is definitely more of a revision than a rewrite – I’m making minor changes to the first three stories – some so that it reads better, and a couple of touches to deal with slight series’ inconsistencies (such as how much time passed between stories, and what season it is.) Not too much has changed, though – I was happy with the voice and feel, and didn’t want to ruin it by letting my right-brain force too many IMPROVEMENTS into the mix.
We’ve all played the what-if game, haven’t we? “If only I’d done this instead, my life would be perfect.”
You need to remember that NOTHING IS PERFECT, and you don’t always know how different parts of a situation that seem unimportant are actually holding things (like THE WORLD or YOUR LIFE) together. How many times have we watched people time-travel in an effort to fix something, only to mess up even more things (what do you mean, you haven’t seen that? Why, just the other day I … never mind.)
I should finish up my revisions in the next day or so, and then place the altered versions in their various incarnations (collection, paperback, and shorts) soon after. AND THEN I’m going to leave it alone and resume writing NEW stuff, because you never know what you’re going to get when you try to change the past.
Sometimes you need to learn to leave well-enough alone.
This week’s Smashwords coupon is for “In Robert’s Memory”:
It happens to us all – one day we discover we’re not as perfect as we thought we were, and we have to learn to function with that fact. An interplanetary tourist ship runs into its own version of an iceberg and, compromised as it is, it’s still up to R0B3rt to ensure its passengers’ survival. Careful – you spend enough time around people and they’re bound to rub off on you.
The pun of a title may have been the germ of the story – but I’m not sure. This is a story about a ship’s computer whose memory becomes contaminated by human inhabitants. It loses itself, but becomes something else.
Use coupon code UT87G to get 67% off the cover price at Smashwords (that’s only 99-cents – such a deal!) The coupon’s good until April 16th – here’s the link:
“In Robert’s Memory” is also available in my third collection, titled surprisingly (if you haven’t been paying attention): Even More Things I Could Get OUT OF MY MIND.
William Mangieri’s writing, including his latest ePub “Burial Details”, can be found in many places, including:
• His Amazon Author page: http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B008O8CBDY
• Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/william-mangieri?store=book&keyword=william+mangieri
• Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/NoTimeToThink
• Createspace (if you prefer physical books): https://www.createspace.com/pub/simplesitesearch.search.do?sitesearch_query=william+mangieri&sitesearch_type=STORE
To CONNECT WITH HIM (and LIKE and FOLLOW), go to
• His site on WordPress: https://williammangieri.wordpress.com
• “William Mangieri’s Writing Page” on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/NoTimeToThink
• His Goodreads author page: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6893616.William_Mangieri
• Or on twitter: @WilliaMangieri