Right now I’m supposed to be working on Detective Jimmy Delaney #6, but instead I’m writing this post. Why? Well, it would be easy to say that I’ve committed to doing these posts, after all, and I have to write them sometime. But this posting is not due for four days yet.
Why am I not keeping my priorities straight? Well, because blogging is easy for me – as easy as talking. A little bit easier than writing a story, but not particularly so (and not generally as enjoyable.) But you see, I haven’t started DJD#6 yet, and one of the hardest parts of writing for me is starting a new story.
I have a title, and a general idea of what it will be about, and because it’s a series there are already characters, places and history to pull from, but getting those first couple of hundred words on the page is like pulling teeth. My left brain – trying be in control, to be logical – challenges everything I begin to write as insufficient – foolish. “What do you think you’re doing?” But writing isn’t a logical or controlled thing for me – I have to allow the right brain its freedom to wander and flow, until it finds its way.
Beginning a story is hard, but you have to start before you can finish.
I can’t force my writing – my story – but I can force myself to write. Make myself sit down and flow words onto the page until the story shows itself. Then I can go back and try to make sense of it.
If there is any. Just saying…
This week’s Smashwords coupon is for “Flee Markets”:
Small town summer doldrums can leave your imagination wanting to flee away with you, taking you to far-away places – or maybe even bringing them to you for a time. Samantha Sanger has a chance encounter with a slightly disreputable merchant and learns that the limits on what you can be sold go beyond cold hard cash. Purveyors of controlled artifacts must choose their customers carefully.
(And no – that’s not supposed to be “FLEA” – it’s a deliberate double meaning. But don’t take my word for it – read it for yourself.) Use coupon code UC78A to get 67% off the cover price at Smashwords (that’s only 99-cents – such a deal!) – it’s good until June 11th. Here’s the link:
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/402085?ref=NoTimeToThink “Flee Markets” is also available in the collection – Still Even More Things I Could Get Out of My Mind.
William Mangieri’s writing, including his latest ePub “Solid People”, can be found in many places, including:
• Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/NoTimeToThink
• His Amazon Author page: http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B008O8CBDY
• Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/william-mangieri?store=book&keyword=william+mangieri
• Createspace (if you prefer physical books): https://www.createspace.com/pub/simplesitesearch.search.do?sitesearch_query=william+mangieri&sitesearch_type=STORE
To CONNECT WITH HIM (and LIKE and FOLLOW), go to
• His site on WordPress: https://williammangieri.wordpress.com
• “William Mangieri’s Writing Page” on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/NoTimeToThink
• His Goodreads author page: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6893616.William_Mangieri
• Or on twitter: @WilliaMangieri