I hate driving. I’ve said for years that if I won the lottery, I would never drive again. I don’t know if I’d hire a chauffeur, but somehow I would avoid having to drive myself.
At the same time, I know I’m not at ease when I’m a passenger. I find myself trying to apply the break as I ride along (I don’t actually put my foot on the real brake – I’m talking about the imaginary one by my right foot.) It’s hard for me to relax while experiencing someone else’s driving, so I already have doubts about my comfort level with NOT being in control.
There’s just something daunting about a device that during all life has been incapable of thought taking control of my travel (and my life.) I might be more comfortable with an android chauffeur, although that would put me back in that same untrusting place I am with human drivers. That’s not even to mention the uncanny valley (where we become particularly uncomfortable when we encounter machines that seem TOO CLOSE to human.)
It seems I’m just one of those old, set-in-their-ways folks who can’t cope with new technology. I guess I’m not going to stop driving anytime soon – I have too many trust issues.
This week’s Smashwords coupon is for “The Pipes”:
There’s something in the pipes.
An unexpected extraterrestrial visitation has an adverse effect on a Texas farmer’s well. Sometimes it’s the little things.
The start of this story came unbidden into my mind as a monologue about bagpipes, and then the story moved into other pipes from there. Use coupon code MK88W to get 67% off the cover price at Smashwords (that’s only 99-cents – such a deal!) – it’s good until September 17th. Here’s the link:
Up next for publication – the Detective Jimmy Delaney story “Killing Them Softly”:
In a strange series of coincidences, young women start dying in Barnstow. Detective Jimmy Delaney doesn’t believe in coincidences – and he’s doubly suspicious when his irresistible nemesis Diana hires him to solve the murders. But can he stop the killer before they strike again?
“Killing Them Softly” is a detective story with sci-fi elements, and the fifth in the Detective Jimmy Delaney series. The release date is September 23rd, but you can preorder now at a REDUCED PROMOTIONAL PRICE at all the usual places, including (but not limited to):
William Mangieri’s writing, including his latest publication “Obsolete”, can be found in many places, including:
• Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/NoTimeToThink
• His Amazon Author page: http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B008O8CBDY
• Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/william-mangieri?store=book&keyword=william+mangieri
• Createspace (if you prefer physical books): https://www.createspace.com/pub/simplesitesearch.search.do?sitesearch_query=william+mangieri&sitesearch_type=STORE
To CONNECT WITH HIM (and LIKE and FOLLOW), go to
• His site on WordPress: https://williammangieri.wordpress.com
• “William Mangieri’s Writing Page” on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/NoTimeToThink
• His Goodreads author page: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6893616.William_Mangieri
• Or on twitter: @WilliaMangieri