I’m still not feeling good about where I am on my writing goals – I barely maintained my three blog postings target (3 per week) last week. My recycling stories back to market continued as defined, but there seem to be a rash of market closings (well, two I know of so far – two weeks ago was AE), so that means two more of my submissions (“Goddesses” and “All the News That’s Fit for You”) have been lying dormant in the recently defunct Fantastic Stories of the Imagination slush pile since November. I’ll need to submit both my stories to a new market within the week.
I still haven’t decided what I’ll release on March 10th, but just by seniority it will be either “Some Kind of Luck” or “Out of Place”. I don’t want to withdraw either from the market before they’re done with their “visit”, but we’ll see.
I shouldn’t really blame all my writing shortcomings on an individual story, but “Breathing is Overrated” continues to be a thorn in my side. It’s all I worked on last week, to the tune of 1214 words (not even half my quota) over four days (again, not writing to a committed schedule.) I am hopeful that my brain is finally able to wrap itself around the plot, and that the first draft (currently at 4,175 words) might actually complete this week (it feels like it will be 6,000 words when done.) Of course, then I’ll have to go into revising, and I expect that will be just as much pain – see, the story has changed direction so many times, that I’ll have to reconcile scenes based on at least three different aborted storylines with the final one so it all works together.
This is not what I’m used to with my short fiction – it’s more like the issues I run into with Swordsmaster (my first novel), and why I have a hard time truly committing to finish the work. I’m so frustrated that I was almost willing to throw it out (I NEVER do that.)
Buck up, Bill – who ever said that writing was going to be easy?
William Mangieri’s writing, including his latest publication “Immortal” can be found in many places, including:
• Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/NoTimeToThink
• His Amazon Author page: http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B008O8CBDY
• Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/william-mangieri?store=book&keyword=william+mangieri
• Createspace (if you prefer physical books): https://www.createspace.com/pub/simplesitesearch.search.do?sitesearch_query=william+mangieri&sitesearch_type=STORE
To CONNECT WITH HIM (and LIKE and FOLLOW), go to
• His site on WordPress: https://williammangieri.wordpress.com
• “William Mangieri’s Writing Page” on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/NoTimeToThink
• His Goodreads author page: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6893616.William_Mangieri
• Or on twitter: @WilliaMangieri