I’ve spent much of my life (meaning more years than most people have been alive) not feeling like I quite fit in. With “people.” I tend to be more on the acquaintance level of relationships rather than into deeper connections (with a very few notable exceptions. No man is an island.) When I participate in tribal gatherings, I tend to watch people relating with each other rather than feeling related to them.
I joke a lot that I’m not human – or at least that I don’t have any people skills (Strengthsfinder says my strengths are Strategic, Ideation, Learner, Intellection, Analytical – nothing like Empathy, or Connectedness, or Relator, or any other skills involving relating to others of YOUR kind.) (Actually, I think I do have a fair amount of empathy – it’s just not where most of my leanings are, so it doesn’t show up on the charts.)
But still, I spend a lot of my social time observing. Maybe that’s why the bulk of the fiction I write may start out because of some piece of technology, or a fantasy concept, or some imagined source of horror, but ultimately, each one of them isn’t about that stuff – it’s about how they impact the PEOPLE in my stories.
Guess I’m still trying to figure those thingeys – those PEOPLE – out.
(Seriously, we’re human beings – not some hive mind with a monolithic belief system and way of thinking, and it can be helpful to see yourself as the different one – the OTHER.)
What would it be like to be one?
The “Goddesses” release weekend has wrapped up:
A young man lands a seemingly perfect job serving a beach full of scantily clad women. But one should not be too eager to undertake labors proffered by goddesses.
“Goddesses” is a speculative fiction short story; it’s available at various locations, including, but not limited to:
William Mangieri’s writing, including his most recent collection The First Three ‘Things I Could Get OUT OF MY MIND’, can be found in many places, including:
• Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/NoTimeToThink
• His Amazon Author page: http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B008O8CBDY
• Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/william-mangieri?store=book&keyword=william+mangieri
• Createspace (if you prefer physical books): https://www.createspace.com/pub/simplesitesearch.search.do?sitesearch_query=william+mangieri&sitesearch_type=STORE
To CONNECT WITH HIM (and LIKE and FOLLOW), go to
• His site on WordPress: https://williammangieri.wordpress.com
• “William Mangieri’s Writing Page” on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/NoTimeToThink
• His Goodreads author page: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6893616.William_Mangieri
• Or on twitter: @WilliaMangieri