Last week’s goal recap –
Blog postings, market rotations and ePublications all on schedule. But the most pivotal for me is 3757 WORDS! That’s what happens when I make a daily commitment of 300 words instead of a weekly one of 3000. Taking little bites instead of trying to swallow the apple whole is a winner. I thought a weekly goal was good enough, but it didn’t ensure that I wrote every day, and I often found myself playing catch-up on the weekend. This looks like a workable way of pushing myself – we’ll see how long it holds up.
All those words went into “Truth in Advertising” (formerly “Paranoia”), and the final revision of “Baastards’ Revenge.” My story total for this year still sits at 6, because “Truth” still needs a final revision, and “Baastards’ ” hasn’t yet gone to market.
About that –
Being part of a series (“Baastards’ Revenge” is the fourth Herc Tom, Champion of the Empire story), it’s hard to find markets that are willing to look at it. “Purr Mission” (the first story in the series – before I knew it was going to be a series) made the rounds to the average number of markets (including a Writers of the Future Honorable Mention), but “Nipped in the Butt” and “Cat and Mouse” went to progressively fewer markets as a result of being sequels AND also being longer stories. My later Jimmy Delaney stories tend to go straight to ePublication for the same reasons, and at over 16,000 words I’m not sure where I would send “Baastards’ Revenge” – it may be my July 28th release. That gives me a little under four weeks to format and create a cover. And I’ll probably have a short preorder campaign, too, so stay tuned.
You may be wondering – in this age of Indie ePublishing – WHY I bother submitting to traditional publishers (an eMagazine is still a traditional publisher – anyone who buys the right to publish your work and then distributes it for others to read is a “traditional publisher.” The reasons are three-fold:
- The sale would provide a quicker infusion of cash than my indie sales. Sure, I will eventually make more money Indie Publishing, but it would be nice to get some cash up front.
- Being seen in a publication will help with cross-promotion of my other works (and as poor a job as I do in promotion, I can use all the help I can get.)
- There is still that pat on the back many of us want to receive that comes with being PUBLISHED; I admit that I DO write in part to be read and ACKNOWLEDGED, and despite Indie, this is still a perceived milestone to many of us. (I wonder how long past usefulness that paradigm will hang around.)
I have resumed Herc Tom #5 (no title yet, but already over 1,000 words), and I have a vague idea of what’s going to happen to Herc Tom this time around, but the writing is flowing nicely, so I’m sticking with it until it’s done (and looking forward to seeing how my Champion of the Empire acquits himself.) That will make nine of my twelve stories this year.
I’m still worrying myself over whether I should finish my final three stories for this year first, or break from that to dive back into Swordsmaster. I know I need at least three months straight of nothing but Swordsmaster to have it in my head properly, and October through December is not generally productive for me (too much business for our holidays), so it would be the wise choice to start before July is over. If I wasn’t such a procrastinator…
Since the fourth Herc Tom, Champion of the Empire story (“Baastards’ Revenge”) will be releasing on July 28th, now would be a good time to encourage all of you to read the first three stories, all conveniently collected in Cats of War I. So I’m offering a Smashwords coupon to cut the price to just 99-cents for the collection (such a deal!)
Here’s the link on Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/588921
Use coupon code WF25Z
William Mangieri’s writing, including his latest publication “Victimless”, can be found in many places, including:
• Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/NoTimeToThink
• His Amazon Author page: http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B008O8CBDY
• Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/william-mangieri?store=book&keyword=william+mangieri
• Createspace (if you prefer physical books): https://www.createspace.com/pub/simplesitesearch.search.do?sitesearch_query=william+mangieri&sitesearch_type=STORE
To CONNECT WITH HIM (and LIKE and FOLLOW), go to
• His site on WordPress: https://williammangieri.wordpress.com
• “William Mangieri’s Writing Page” on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/NoTimeToThink
• His Goodreads author page: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6893616.William_Mangieri
• Or on twitter: @WilliaMangieri