Yesterday was Thanksgiving – a holiday where we’re supposed to gather with friends and family and reflect on how lucky we are and how grateful we are for what we do have; our varying degrees of FAT & HAPPY.
And then we run out to the stores, desperate to get EVEN MORE.
My (definitely) better half bemoans the minimization of Thanksgiving each year, but each year it gets worse, anyway. From her perspective, she’s bothered by how Christmas decorations appear in the stores before Halloween is even over, so Thanksgiving is almost forgotten (I think it would be if the grocery stores didn’t have a vested interest in promoting the turkeys and all the rest of the traditional accompaniments.)
In some places, I’ve seen Christmas show up in July, but I’m not so bothered about that. It’s the juxtaposition of all the greed and accompanying envy on top of a holiday that’s meant to stress humility, gratitude and contentment. Black Friday (and Cyber Monday) adds have been pouring into our email boxes, trying to tempt us to spend our time with the stores rather than with each other. I remember being invited to a home for Thanksgiving once, but as soon as we were done eating we needed to leave because our hosts couldn’t go shopping until we were out of the way.
I confess, I also don’t like rushing to stores because I hate being in crowds (especially crowds of strangers), but it’s not the only reason; I don’t bother with Cyber Monday, even from the comfort of my desk. I just can’t get into the greed.
It’s not that I have everything I want – far from it. I just don’t want the want to be everything.
Next up for ePublication is “Sleep with the Snowmen”, a slightly different kind of Christmas story:
Ask not for whom the bells jingle…
A petty criminal crosses the wrong fat man, and is offered the opportunity to change his path; or, he could just “Sleep with the Snowmen.”
The release date is December 8th, but it’s available on preorder now at various sellers, including, but not limited to:
William Mangieri’s writing – including his most recent ePublication “Imperial Purrogative” can be found in many places, including:
• Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/NoTimeToThink
• His Amazon Author page: http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B008O8CBDY
• Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/william-mangieri?store=book&keyword=william+mangieri
• Createspace (if you prefer physical books): https://www.createspace.com/pub/simplesitesearch.search.do?sitesearch_query=william+mangieri&sitesearch_type=STORE
To CONNECT WITH HIM (and LIKE and FOLLOW), go to
• His site on WordPress: https://williammangieri.wordpress.com
• “William Mangieri’s Writing Page” on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/NoTimeToThink
• His Goodreads author page: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6893616.William_Mangieri
• Or on twitter: @WilliaMangieri