I was listening to the radio, and I heard about a study that coffee drinkers gain health benefits versus non-coffee drinkers. I thought what I heard was that drinking one cup of coffee per day made you 8% less likely to die early, and EIGHT cups made early death 16% less likely (I wonder what sixteen cups would do?) For this posting I wanted to find the exact statistics instead of just remembering them, so I did a search online. I decided after looking at a few of the results that it wasn’t worth the time to be that exact. I did find this in the Chicago Tribune .
Here’s a very important part of what the article says:
Overall, coffee drinkers were about 10 percent to 15 percent less likely to die than abstainers –
Wait! I drink LOTS of coffee. Does that mean I have a 10-15% chance that I’ll never die?! Oh – no, here’s the rest of it:
…less likely to die than abstainers during a decade of follow-up. Differences by amount of coffee consumed and genetic variations were minimal.
Okay, so I won’t live forever. My wife will be happy (not that I’ll eventually die) – she is bothered by any study that says it’s okay for me to drink as much coffee as I like to. She worries that I’ll over do things.
Of course, I also read a 1995 New York Times article about a study that found a 49% reduction in mortality from drinking three to five glasses of wine a day. I should probably get started on that regimen – it seems to have greater benefit. And if I mix it in with my coffee drinking, I should be able to stay relatively sober.
Everything in moderation – including sobriety.
I look around at the “old folks” where I work – some of whom I know are younger than me – and I wonder how I look to the other people – do I look old? Parts of me feel it (that darn knee and heel), but mostly I feel the same inside was I did when I was twenty and in college the first time around.
My significant other is buying a helpful book titled I’m Dead – Now What? Maybe I don’t need to be so worried that I might live forever. Just saying…
I am participating in “Smashwords’ Summer/Winter Sale” (it’s almost over, guys and gals!) All my story collections (including Herc Tom, Champion of the Empire and Detective Jimmy Delaney) are available with a 50%-off coupon on the Smashwords site. You can find them all here: https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/NoTimeToThink
William Mangieri’s writing – including his most recent ePublication “There’s No Present Like the Time” – can be found in many places, including:
• Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/NoTimeToThink
• His Amazon Author page: http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B008O8CBDY
• Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/william-mangieri?store=book&keyword=william+mangieri
• Createspace (if you prefer physical books): https://www.createspace.com/pub/simplesitesearch.search.do?sitesearch_query=william+mangieri&sitesearch_type=STORE
To CONNECT WITH HIM (and LIKE and FOLLOW), go to
• His site on WordPress: https://williammangieri.wordpress.com
• “William Mangieri’s Writing Page” on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/NoTimeToThink
• His Goodreads author page: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6893616.William_Mangieri
• Or on twitter: @WilliaMangieri